Saturday, September 14, 2013

Canning Tomatoes!

I decided to get serious about canning enough tomatoes this fall to take my family through the year until next harvest for three reasons.  First, I want to avoid the corn syrup and preservatives that are added to most canned tomatoes, including the Del Monte products that I was using.  Second, I was finding more core pieces and under-ripe sections in the store bought cans.  And finally, It's helpful to keep my costs down.  The store bought organic tomatoes I found were delicious, but spendy.

The tomatoes I've canned in past years were a little too salty and slightly bitter from added salt and lemon juice.  Since salt and lemon juice are optional ingredients, I now leave them out.  I found an old-fashioned method for canning tomatoes and that's the process I describe here.  It is not an 'approved' canning method, but if it was good enough for past generations, it's good enough for me.  Do your own research and decide for yourself.  :-)

CANNED TOMATOES PROCESS

Start with some beautiful, ripe, organic tomatoes.  I'm using pink Brandywines, Big Boy and Early Girl tomatoes.  (Romas are great too, but I didn't grow any this year.)


Wash under running cold water and core tomatoes; remove blemishes and cut an "X" on the bottom of the tomato to make the skins easier to remove.

Place in boiling water for 3-5 minutes.


Remove with a slotted spoon and place in cold water.  Ice is optional.  Just change the water when it becomes warm.  


Peel tomatoes and cut into chunks.  Drop into a large pot.  I used my water bath canner for its size.  


Bring to a boil, then simmer for 35 minutes.


When you begin to heat up the tomatoes, turn the oven to 170 degrees F.  Put the jars on a cookie sheet and place in the oven to get hot.


Fill hot jars with hot tomatoes, add a sterilized lid and ring and hand tighten.  Leave jars alone for 24 hours.  Check for seal, remove ring, wipe down and label jars.  


No comments:

Post a Comment